Victoria government logo

National Redress Scheme

The Victorian Government has joined the National Redress Scheme to help support people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse.

The Victorian Government has joined the National Redress SchemeExternal Link to support people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse.

Participation in the scheme is an important part of ensuring that people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse receive the recognition, respect and support they deserve.

The Commonwealth GovernmentExternal Link will run the scheme, which starts on 1 July 2018 and will run for 10 years.

Support offered by National Redress Scheme

The scheme can provide:

  • a monetary payment
  • access to psychological counselling
  • a direct personal response, such as an apology from the responsible institution (or institutions) for people who choose this.

Applicants will be able to choose whether to request one, two or all three components of redress. Applications for payment will be assessed on a case-by-case basis, reflecting the severity and impact of the abuse experienced.

Trained independent decision makers will consider applications for redress. The decision makers will be independent from both the Victorian Government and scheme officials.

Independent decision makers will have guidelines to help them determine when a person is eligible for the scheme and to ensure outcomes of applications for redress are as consistent as possible.

Information on applying for the scheme

Who can apply

An application can be made under the scheme if:

  • a person has experienced child sexual abuse while in the care of an institution or organisation (the scheme does not cover non-institutional abuse, such as by a family member)
  • the abuse happened when the person was aged under 18
  • the abuse happened before the scheme start date
  • the institution or organisation responsible for the abuse has joined the scheme
  • the person applying is an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

A person who has accessed redress under another scheme or received compensation through a settlement may still apply for redress under the scheme. However, any prior payments made by a participating institution in relation to abuse within the scope of the scheme will be deducted from the amount payable by that institution.

A person can still apply for redress if they have a criminal conviction. However, if a person has been sentenced to five or more years imprisonment for an offence their application will go through a special assessment process. The assessment will take into account:

  • views of relevant attorneys-general
  • the details of the offending
  • length of sentence
  • time passed since offending and rehabilitation outcomes.

How to apply

Call the National Redress Scheme Information Line on 1800 737 377 to request a paper application.

Visit the National Redress SchemeExternal Link website to begin the application.

Access to other support services

Further support for people who have experienced past abuse, violence or childhood trauma is available.

Care Leavers Australasia Network (CLAN)

CLAN supports former state wards or individuals who grew up in children’s homes or foster care in Australia and New Zealand. It provides:

  • face to face counselling
  • case management and support
  • advocacy services to enable pre-1990- care leavers to access universal health and welfare services.

Contact CLAN:

Open Place

Open Place is a support and advocacy service that provides assistance to people who grew up in Victorian orphanages and homes during the last century. Their services include:

  • personal support
  • support in accessing specialist services
  • financial assistance
  • individual advocacy.

Contact Open Place:

Find and Connect Support Services

This service can assist with:

  • personalised support and counselling
  • obtaining personal records and individual histories of institutional care
  • connecting with other services and support networks
  • reconnecting with family where possible.

Contact Find and Connect:


Lifeline is a 24 hour confidential telephone crisis support service.

Contact Lifeline:

Report child sexual abuse to Victoria Police

You must report child sexual abuse to the police, either via:

Reviewed 16 March 2022


Was this page helpful?