150 years: Ross Bridge Primary School

Learn about the history of Ross Bridge Primary School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Ararat, 3377
19 February 1872
31 December 1993
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Ross Bridge Common School, Ross Bridge State School

The history of Ross Bridge Primary School

  • 1869

    A committee of parents led by WS Bryant worked to establish a common school in the township of Ross Bridge

  • 1871

    The school building was built in 1871 using local bluestone quarried near the school site.

    The building, designed by architect W White, had a porch and a shed attached.

    The first head teacher was Soutar, followed by head teacher Travan.

  • 1886

    Travan taught at the school until 1886 when he transferred to Tatyoon State School (No. 1812).

    The school building was used for district activities, church services, a public library and a debating society.

    An early student and keen debater, JK McDougall, was later a member for Corangamite.

    Anton Vroland, first editor of the Teacher's Journal, also attended the school.

  • 1930s to 1940s

    The school closed in 1932 and reopened in 1942 with Miss. A McLeay as head teacher.

  • 1970

    The name of the school changed to Ross Bridge Primary School in 1970. 

  • 1993

    The school closed in 1993. 

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.