JavaScript is required

150 years: Terang Primary School

Learn about the history of Terang Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Warrnambool Road, Terang, 3264
1 January 1858
31 December 1995
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Terang School, Terang Common School, Terang State School

The history of Terang Primary School

  • 1858

    Terang opened in 1858.

    The schoolhouse was a rough, wooden building made from slabs of timber.

  • 1862

    The school became a common school in 1862. 

  • 1870s

    The timber schoolhouse burnt down in 1872 and was replaced by a stone building.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1887

    The Minister for Education visited the school in 1887. He was shown the schoolhouse, which was dark and crowded.

  • 1891

    The size of the schoolhouse was increased by adding an extension.

  • 1907

    Another extension was added to the school.

  • 1924

    The school became a higher education school and taught secondary school courses.

  • 1949

    The school stopped teaching secondary school courses and older students moved to a local high school.

  • 1956

    One classroom and 2 staff rooms were added to the school.

  • 1962

    Another 2 classrooms had been built by 1962.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Terang Primary School in 1970. 

  • 1995

    Terang closed in 1995 when it combined with Terang High School (No. 8380) to form Terang P-12 College (No. 6236). 

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.