- 2-12 Council Street , Doncaster, 3108
- 1 January 1861
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Doncaster School, Doncaster Common School
The history of Doncaster Primary School
Doncaster opened as a denominational school in 1860. The first head teacher was Max Schramm and there were 23 students enrolled by October.
The school became a common school in 1864. The school moved to Main Road, now called Doncaster Road, onto land owned by Schramm.
The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.
The school moved to the block next door in 1886. A new brick building was built on this site.
The school bell was moved onto the new building when it was requested by the head teacher, A. O. Thiele, 'The residents of Doncaster have from their childhood been accustomed to the ringing of the bell on the old building . . . The bell served a practical purpose, for the people of Doncaster had no such thing as a post office, or railway clock in their district, and were consequently, dependent on the school bell for the regulation of their time-pieces.'
A swimming pool was built in 1937 with funding from parents. Average attendance at this time was as low as 85 students.
Enrolment numbers continued to decrease, with 74 students enrolled in 1947. However, the district started to become more urban at this time and the population was increasing.
The school was expanding to accommodate raising student numbers. The head teacher at the time was J. Pleming.
There were 777 students enrolled in 1968.
The school was renamed Doncaster Primary School in 1970.
Doncaster Primary School is still in operation.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.