- 35 Symonds Street, Yarra Glen, 3775
- 1 April 1868
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Yarra Flats School, Yarra Glen State School
The History of Yarra Glen Primary School
The school had been built by locals in 1866 so it is likely classes may have started before this date.
When it opened it was likely known as Yarra Flats.
The school was listed as a common school in 1868.
The first head teacher in 1868 was Alexander McIntyre and the average attendance was around 20.
The school applied for a new schoolhouse to the new Department of Education sometime between 1873 and 1878.
Land for the new school was purchased in 1877 and the school building was finished by 1878.
The head teacher in 1879 was Charles Martell.
The name of the school was changed to Yarra Glen State School in 1889.
The 1910s were a period of renovation and expansion.
The gallery was demolished in 1908 and the sloyd room and lavatory were completed in 1911. A sloyd room is used for woodworking.
2 acres were added to the school site in 1915.
A tennis court was added in 1948
The school was renamed Yarra Glen Primary School in 1970.
Yarra Glen Primary School is still in operation.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.