JavaScript is required

150 years: Addington Primary School

Learn about the history of Addington Primary School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

96 Edmonston Road, Addington, 3352
23 July 1860
12 September 1974
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Ercildoune Presbyterian School, Addington Common School, Addington State School

The history of Addington Primary School

  • 1859

    An application to open a school was made to the Denominational Schools Board.

    The application was made by Presbyterian Reverend George Mackie.

    The location of the school was northwest of Ballarat in rich farmland.

  • 1860

    A prominent local farmer, Thomas Learmonth, donated an acre of land to the school.

    He donated another 3 acres for the teachers' house.

    The school, originally called Ercildoune, opened as a Presbyterian school in 1860.

    The first head teacher was Allan Murray.

    His wife was the sewing mistress.

  • 1863

    The school became a common school and was assigned the number 226.

    65 students were enrolled at the school, with an average of 44 students in attendance.

    The school building was a large single room.

    It was made with weatherboard and the walls were lined with pine and canvas.

    The teacher's house attached to the school had two rooms, a veranda and 2 small lean-to rooms.

    An additional 2 lean-to rooms were added but these were not accessible from the inside of the house.

    One of these rooms was often used as a kitchen or laundry.

  • 1873

    The Department of Education purchased the school in 1873 and it became a state school.

    There were 74 students enrolled at the time.

    The average student attendance remained around 45 for many years.

  • 1970

    The name of the school changed to Addington Primary School in 1970. 

  • 1974

    The school closed in 1974.


    Two storey timber teachers house at Addington Primary School in 1974.
    Addington Primary School teacher's residence in 1974. Source: J.T. Collins Collection, La Trobe Picture Collection, State Library of Victoria.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.