- Maryborough , 4650
- 1 January 1863
- 1 May 1994
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Adelaide Lead Common School
The history of Adelaide Lead Primary school
Adelaide Lead opened as a common school. It serviced the gold mining settlement community along the banks of Timor Creek.
In the late 1880s head teacher David Bilton and his wife taught at the school. They rode 13 km from Craigie in their buggy each day.
Many past students of the school served in the First World War.
The local town hall erected an honour roll commemorating Adelaide Lead pupils who served in the First World War. The honour roll is still on display today in 2022.
The school closed due to low attendance. At that time, the head teacher was Mrs Chamberlain.
Tullaroop Shire Council purchased the brick school building. It became the new town hall.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.