JavaScript is required

150 years: Allans Flat Primary School

Learn about the history of Allans Flat Primary School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Wallace Road, Allans Flat, 3691
1 January 1859
31 December 1994
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Allans Flat School, Allans Flat Common School, Allans Flat State School

The history of Allans Flat Primary School

  • 1859

    Allans Flat opened in a gold mining area on the Yackandandah Creek.

    The first head teacher was Albert M Perrottet.

  • 1871

    Albert M Perrottet finished teaching at the school. 

  • 1919

    The school contributed to the Victorian School's Patriotic Fund in the First World War. Enrolment reached 75, under head teacher WJ Eddy.

  • 1920s

    In the 1920s swimming was a popular sport at the school. Students competed in the Schools' Championships in Melbourne.

  • 1930s

    In the 1930s the school organised tree planting ceremonies. The avenue of trees is a continuing contribution to the beauty of the town.

    Under head teacher J. Carney, the school continued as the leading contributor to the Patriotic Fund in the Second World War .

  • 1950s

    A fire destroyed two brick classrooms in the early 1950s.

    A new wooden building was built in 1952 and opened in March 1953.

    Students continued to be taught in this building until 1994.

  • 1970

    The school's name changed to Allans Flat Primary School in 1970. 

  • 1994

    The school closed in 1994. 

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest records that can help us understand what Victorian schools used to be like.

Click one of the links below to do some detective work and see what info PROV have on this school.