150 years: Allansford and District Primary School

Learn about the history of Allansford and District Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

4 Frank Street, Allansford, 3277
22 December 1856
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Allansford School, Allansford Common School, Allansford State School

The history of Allansford and District Primary School

  • 1856

    The school opened as a national school in 1856. The first head teacher was Mr Williamson and he was also the postmaster. The schoolhouse was made from clay and earth. It had one room when the school opened and 2 large rooms were added later. 

  • 1862

    The school became a common school in 1862. 

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878. 

  • 1903

    The schoolhouse was badly damaged by an earthquake in 1903. It was repaired and renovated.

  • 1905

    The head teacher was Mr McKenzie. He walked to the school from Warrnambool which was 9.5 kms each way. 

  • 1923

     A large room made from sandstone was moved from Warrnambool. 

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Allansford and District Primary School in 1970.

  • 2022

    Allansford & District Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.