150 years: Barkly Primary School

Learn about the history of Barkly Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Barkly, 3384
7 January 1867
1 January 1985
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Barkly Common School, Barkly State School

The history of Barkly Primary School

  • 1867

    Barkly School opened as a common school in 1867.

    The first head teacher was James Kerr Brown.

    The timber schoolhouse had a timber floor and an iron roof.

  • 1874

    The school became a state school in 1874.

    James Kerr Brown was still the head teacher and Helen Brown was work mistress.

  • 1879

    A new school building opened in 1879.

    There was a timber schoolhouse and a house with 4 rooms for the head teacher.

  • 1900

    The average number of students going to the school was 46 in 1900.

  • 1901

    The schoolhouse was expanded because the number of students was growing.

  • 1908

    The schoolhouse and the teacher's house were both renovated.

  • 1970

    The name of the school changed to Barkly Primary School in 1970.

  • 1985

    Barkly Primary School closed in 1985.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.