JavaScript is required

150 years: Barrabool Primary School

Learn about the history of Barrabool Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Barrabool Road, Barrabool, 3221
8 March 1858
1 January 1979
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Barrabool Hills, Barrabool Common School, Barrabool State School

The history of Barrabool Primary School

  • 1858

    The school was opened by the Presbyterian Church in 1858. It was originally called Barrabool Hills.

    The head teacher was James J. Irving and there were 32 students.

  • 1862

    The school became Barrabool Common School in 1862.

    It did not have its own schoolhouse and classes were held in a rented building.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1924

    Land was bought and a schoolhouse was built.

  • 1970

    The name of the school changed to Barrabool Primary School in 1970.

  • 1979

    The school closed in 1979. It had been open for 121 years.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.