JavaScript is required

150 years: Beeac Primary School

Learn about the history of Beeac Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

35 Lang Street, Beeac, 3251
1 July 1863
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Beeac Common School, Beeac State School

The history of Beeac Primary School

  • 1862

    Beeac opened as a common school in 1862. It replaced a school opened by the Methodist Church in 1862. The first head teacher was T.C. Camm. Classes were held in a stone building which later became a church.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878. 

  • 1922

    A new brick building was built in Lang St, Beeac.

  • 1923

    The new building opened in 1923. Wood fires warmed the classroooms in winter.

    The head teacher at the time lived in the teacher's house on Main Street. 

  • 1970

    There were 77 students enrolled in 1970. The school was renamed Beeac Primary School.

  • 2022

    Beeac Primary School is still in operation. 

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.