JavaScript is required

150 years: Birregurra Primary School

Learn about the history of Birregurra Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

58 Beal Street, Birregurra, 3242
4 January 1864
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Birregurra Common School, Birregurra State School

The history of Birregurra Primary School

  • 1863

    Birregurra opened as a common school in 1863. The first head teacher was John Hiskins. There were 12 students enrolled when the school opened. Classes were held in a church hall until a schoolhouse was build. 

  • 1865

    A new school was built. It was made from locally fired bricks.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1926

    The size of the brick schoolhouse was increased. 

  • 1948

    The schoolhouse had become unsafe. Iron rods and timber was used to strengthen the building. 

  • 1949

     The attempts to make the schoolhouse safe did not work and it was demolished.

  • 1950

    A new school was built in 1950. It had a rough cast cement finish.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Birregurra Primary School.

  • 2022

    Birregurra Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.