150 years: Bright P-12 College

Learn about the history of Bright P-12 College, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Address:
46 Bakers Gully Road, Bright, 3741
Opened:
1 January 1865
School type:
Primary and secondary
School number:
776
Other names:
Bright School, Bright State School

The history of Bright P-12 College

  • 1865

    The school opened as a common school in 1865. It was known as Morse’s Creek Common School. The wooden school building had shingle roof and a fire place at each end and a porch on the rear.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    The original school building became the teacher’s house in 1876 when a new brick school building opened.

  • 1915

    Extensive renovations were completed in 1915. This included a wooden extension to the brick school building.

  • 1920s

    The school building from Upper Buckland State School was moved to the school in the 1920s. It was used as a woodworking room.

    Bright became a Higher Elementary School in 1923. This meant that classes for older students were added, like years 7 and 8 in secondary schools today.

    A pine tree plantation was planted in 1925. The trees would be sold when fully grown to raise money for the school.

     

  • 1957

    A school bus run started in 1957 to bring students from Freeburgh and Smoko.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Bright Primary School in 1970.

  • 2022

    Bright P-12 College is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.

Updated