150 years: Broadford Primary School

Learn about the history of Broadford Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

17-23 Powlett Street, Broadford, 3658
1 August 1873
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Broadford Common School, Broadford State School

The history of Broadford Primary School

  • 1873

    Broadford opened as a state school in 1873. It replaced a church run school that had opened in 1857. The head teacher at the church run school became the head teacher at Broadford. This was John Wright. The brick schoolhouse was big enough for 70 students.

  • 1877

    The schoolhouse was extended so that it was big enough for 104 students. 

  • 1892

    A timber classroom from another school was moved to Broadford. 

  • 1917

    A teacher named Freda Neill joined the school in 1917 and remained for 39 years. 

  • 1926

    A play shelter was built in 1926. A concrete wall was built in the nearby creek to create a swimming pool for the students. Money was raised for the school by selling vegetables from the school's vegetable garden. A plantation of 6,000 trees was planted for the school. These trees would be sold for timber when fully grown to make money for the school. 

  • 1953

    The size of the school was increased by bringing in the old school building from Kurkurruc State School (No. 2212). 

  • 1963

    A new staffroom, storeroom and office were added. 

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Broadford Primary School in 1970.

  • 2022

    Broadford Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.