JavaScript is required

150 years: Broken Creek Primary School

Learn about the history of Broken Creek Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

413 Quinn Road, Broken Creek, 3673
1 July 1866
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Broken Creek Common School, Broken Creek State School

The History of Broken Creek Primary School

  • 1866

    Broken Creek opened as a common school in 1866. The first head teacher was Richard Smith. There were 27 students enrolled when the school opened. Classes started in a one-room log and shingle building that had been built by the local residents. The teacher's house was 1.6 km from the schoolhouse. 

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1887

    A new school was built on land opposite the old school. There was a house for the teacher. 

  • 1961

    There was a school reunion in 1961.

  • 1962

    A Mothers Club was set up in 1962 to raise money for the school. 

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Broken Creek Primary School.

  • 2022

    Broken Creek Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.