150 years: Bromley Primary School

Learn about the history of Bromley Primary School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Bromley , 3472
11 May 1857
1 January 1976
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Burnt Creek, Burnt Creek Common School, Bromley State School, Bromley Primary School

The history of Bromley Primary School

  • 1857

    Originally known as Burnt Creek, the school was opened by the Church of England in 1857.

    Department records show that its first head teacher was John How. However, local historians believe it was Thomas Vaughan.

    The original school building was a single classroom built from slabs of wood

  • 1864

    The school became a common school in 1864 when Thomas Vaughan was head teacher.

    115 students were enrolled.

  • 1868

    A new stone school building was opened.

  • 1885

    The name of the school changed to Bromley State School.

  • 1899

    The original school building from 1857 was demolished.

  • 1962

    Electricity and lighting were installed.

  • 1963

    Play equipment and a concrete assembly area were added.

  • 1964

    The school marked its 100th anniversary.

  • 1970

    The name of the school changed to Bromley Primary School in 1970.

  • 1972

    Bromely Primary School stone building with weatherboard foyer in 1972.
  • 1976

    The school closed in 1976.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.