150 years: Byaduk Primary School

Learn about the history of Byaduk Primary School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Byaduk School Road, Byaduk, 3301
1 July 1868
1 January 1985
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Byaduk Common School, Byaduk State School

The history of Byaduk Primary School

  • 1868

    Byaduk opened as a common school in the Wesleyan Chapel on Hamilton-Belfast Road.

    The first head teacher was Horatio N Remfry.

    25 students enrolled to attend classes.

  • 1870

    In August 1870, a single bluestone classroom was built on a two-acre site, in the Parish of Byaduk.

  • 1874

    A further one acre was added to the site.

  • 1875

    A four-room wooden teacher's house with a shingle roof was built.

  • 1906

    An extra room was added to the school.

  • 1912

     Renovations to the school were completed.

  • 1968

    In November 1968, a new classroom was added. A corridor linked the new room to the existing classroom.

  • 1970

    The name of the school changed to Byaduk Primary School. 

  • 1985

    The school closed.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.