JavaScript is required

150 years: Bylands Primary School

Learn about the history of Bylands Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Bylands, 3762
1 July 1872
1 January 1984
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Big Hill Common School, Big Hill State School, Bylands State School

The history of Bylands Primary School

  • 1870s

    The school opened as a common school in 1872. It was originally known as Big Hill Common School. There were around 40 students enrolled, the youngest was 3 and the eldest was 16. The head teacher's name was Tutton.

    The school replaced Big Hill Common School (No. 179) which had been opened by the Catholic Church around 1859.

    A temporary schoolhouse was used while a stone schoolhouse was built. When the stone schoolhouse was ready, this temporary building became the head teacher's house.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1880

    In 1880 the school changed its name to Bylands State School.

  • 1969

    There were only 12 students in 1969. Student numbers had been rising and falling over the previous 20 years and the school nearly closed several times.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Bylands Primary School in 1970.

  • 1984

    The school was closed in 1984.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.