150 years: Cambrian Hill State School

Learn about the history of Cambrian Hill School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Cambrian Hill, 3350
1 July 1867
19 July 1966
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Cambrian Hill Common School

The history of Cambrian Hill State School

  • 1867

    Cambrian Hill opened as a common school in 1867. The average attendance at the time was 79 students.

  • 1873

    The school became a state school in 1873 when the head teacher was Richard Carlington.

  • 1878

    A new wooden school was built that was big enough for 200 students.

    A head teacher's house with 4 rooms was also built.

  • 1962

    The school became unstaffed in 1962. This meant that no classes were taught at the school but it wasn't officially closed.

  • 1966

    Cambrian Hill closed in 1966.

    The school equipment and library were moved to Humffray Street State School (No. 34).

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.