- Palmer Street, Caramut, 3274
- 1 January 1861
- 31 December 2004
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Caramut School, Caramut Common School, Caramut State School
The history of Caramut State School
Caramut opened in 1861 and was located next to the post office.
It replaced a private school that was taught in a shed that students had to pay to attend.
The schoolhouse was made of stone and had a classroom and three other rooms.
The first head teacher was G. Launder.
The school became a common school in 1862.
A new bluestone building was completed and the school moved to the new site.
The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.
Mr J. Whyte became the head teacher. He taught children during the day, and taught reading and writing to the local community at night.
The school was used by the local community for meetings and services up until a community hall and church were built.
The population of the district was growing and the size of the school grew.
The number of students enrolled at the school was now three times higher than 10 years earlier.
Two extra classrooms were added to the old bluestone schoolhouse.
The school playground was extended and a house was bought for the head teacher.
The school was renamed Caramut Primary School in 1970.
Caramut Primary School closed in 2004 when it combined with Mortlake P-12 College (No. 5376).
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.