JavaScript is required

150 years: Cargerie State School

Learn about the history of Cargerie State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Cargerie, 3334
16 September 1872
15 August 1941
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Cargerie Common School

The history of Cargerie State School

  • 1870s

    Cargerie opened as a common school in 1872. The wooden schoolhouse could fit 60 children. The first head teacher was John J. Bannin.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878. 

    A house with 4 rooms was built for the head teacher in 1877. 

  • 1891

    Low student numbers forced the school to operate part time with Bamganie State School (No. 1590).

  • 1905

    The school now operated part time with Woodburn Creek State School (No. 1748).

  • 1907

    At the start of 1907, the school was back working part-time with Bamganie State School (No.1590). But by the end of the year, the average attendance had grown to 25 students and the school was able to operate full time.

  • 1941

    Cargerie State School closed in 1941.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.