150 years: Carlton (Faraday Street) Primary School

Learn about the history of Carlton (Faraday Street) Primary School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Faraday Street, Carlton, 3053
8 February 1858
12 January 1972
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Carlton (Faraday Street) School, Carlton (Faraday Street) Common School, Carlton (Faraday Street) State School

The history of Carlton (Faraday Street) Primary School

  • 1858

    Grace Pullar established the school.

    Classes were held in a chapel until the National Board of Education offered financial aid.

    The school became a national school.

  • 1859

    The School Committee requested 200 pounds to build a schoolroom of brick or stone.

    Mrs Pullar also asked permission to erect a wooden school building at her own expense. A timber building was erected at a cost of 130 pounds.

    This was the first school in Carlton.

  • 1861

    Frederick A Nell became head teacher. When enrolments increased to 120, further aid was requested.

  • 1864

    The number of students enrolled increased to 100 and Nell requested a new building. It was completed later that year.

  • 1886

    Frederick A Nell remained head teacher until 1886. The school was known as Nell's School.

  • 1908

    Windows were enlarged. The upper floor was used by the Melbourne Teachers College between 1900 and 1951.

  • 1927

     Galleries were removed and brick wings were added to the rear of the building.

  • 1972

    The school closed in 1972.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.