JavaScript is required

150 years: Coimadai Primary School

Learn about the history of Coimadai Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

86 Bennetts Lane, Coimadai, 3340
1 April 1863
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Pyrete Common School, Coimadai Common School, Coimadai State School

The history of Coimadai Primary School

  • 1862

    Coimadai opened in 1862. When it opened it was called Pyrete School. The head teacher was Mr Brown.

    The number of students going to the school was 32. The schoolhouse was made of weatherboard. It had 2 rooms.

    One room was a classroom, the other room was for the teacher. 

  • 1863

    There were 60 going to the school in 1863.

  • 1864

    The school became a common school in 1864.

  • 1867

    The school was renamed Coimadai Common School. 

  • 1869

    The school closed because there was no teacher. 

  • 1870

    Around this time, the school reopened. 

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1920

    The school was rebuilt around this time.

  • 1963

    Extensive repairs and painting were done so that the school was ready for its centenary. This is an event to recognise that the school had been open for 100 years. The number of students enrolled at the school around this time was 38.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Coimadai Primary School.

  • 2022

    Coimadai Primary School is still in operation. 

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.