150 years: Corop Primary School

Learn about the history of Corop Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Stevens Street, Corop, 3559
1 September 1870
1 January 1983
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Corop Common School, Corop State School

The history of Corop Primary School

  • 1870s

    Corop School opened as a common school in 1870.

    The first head teacher was William Burrows and by September enrolment had reached 27.

    The wooden school building had an iron roof.

    The school became a state school between 1873 and 1878.

    The head teacher in 1873 was Thomas G. Jamieson. His wife taught at the school from 1874. 

    A teacher's house was built in 1874. It had three rooms.


  • 1886

    A new school building was built in 1886.

    The old school building was used as a shelter shed.

  • 1970

    The name of the school changed to Corop Primary School in 1970.

    There were 13 students enrolled at the time.

  • 1983

    Corop Primary school closed in 1983.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.