- Couangalt Road, Gisborne South, 3437
- 6 April 1863
- 31 December 1947
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Cabbage Tree Hill, Cabbage Tree Hill Common School, Couangalt, Couangalt Common School
The history of Couangalt State School
The school opened as a common school in 1863. It was originally known as Cabbage Tree Hill Common School.
The first head teacher was Henry E. Smith and the average attendance was 23 students.
The wooden school building had a classroom at one end and the head teacher lived at the other end.
A new bluestone and brick school was built in 1871.
The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.
The school changed its name to Couangalt State School.
The average number of students attending school had dropped to 10.
The school building was so run down it was becoming unsafe to use as a school. A new and larger site was chosen for a new schoolhouse.
A new wooden schoolhouse was opened.
George L. Mitchell was head teacher at the time.
The wooden schoolhouse was burnt down and another schoolhouse was built.
There were not enough students so the school closed in 1947.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.