JavaScript is required

150 years: Cudgee Primary School

Learn about the history of Cudgee Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

3 Hallowells Road, Cudgee, 3265
16 June 1862
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Brucknell Creek School, Cudgee State School

The history of Cudgee Primary School

  • 1862

    The school opened as a church school in 1862. It was called Brucknell Creek when it opened.

    The head teacher was David Burston.

    There was a schoolhouse with a house for the teacher attached to it.

  • 1864

    Richard Butler became the head teacher. He remained the head teacher for 23 years.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    The head teacher Richard Butler was assisted by his wife, Elizabeth, who was the work mistress.

    Three of his children worked at pupil teachers. Butler also opened a night school.

  • 1880s

    Around this time, the railway line was built through the school grounds.

  • 1891

    A new school was built on a new site away from the railway line. The number of students going to school was 90.

  • 1910

    Extra rooms were added to the school.

  • 1927

    A house was built for the teacher. 

  • 1964

    More rooms were added to the school. 

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Cudgee Primary School. The number of students enrolled was 58.

  • 2022

    Cudgee Primary School is still in operation. 

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.