JavaScript is required

150 years: Dean Primary School

Learn about the history of Dean Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Dean, 3363
17 April 1860
31 December 2003
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Bullarook Forest Combined School, Bullarook Forest Combined Common School, Dean Common, Dean State School, Dean Primary School

The history of Dean Primary School

  • 1860

    The school was opened by 2 local churches and the community in 1860. When it opened it was called Bullarook Forest Combined School.

    The first head teacher was J. Ingamells.

  • 1862

    Bullarook Forest Combined School became Common School No. 87.

  • 1864

    Land was bought to build a new school.

  • 1868

    The name of the school was changed to Dean Common School.

  • 1870s

    A two-room house was built for the head teacher in 1871. At this time the number of students attending the school averaged 80.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1893

    The number of students attending the school had grown to 94.

  • 1895

    The head teacher, Matthew Robinson, began a tree planting program to develop the school grounds.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Dean Primary School in 1970.

  • 2003

    The school closed in 2003.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.