JavaScript is required

150 years: Dixie Primary School

Learn about the history of Dixie Primary School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Ecklin Road, Dixie, 3265
18 May 1868
31 December 1992
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Ecklin Common School, Dixie State School

The history of Dixie Primary School

  • 1868

    The school opened as a common school.

    It was originally called Ecklin Common School.

    The first head teacher was Mrs Jane Nicholson.

    There were 35 students enrolled and the average attendance was 20.

  • 1900

    The original school burnt down.

    A new weatherboard school was built on a new site.

    The new site was 6.5 km south of Terang on Timboon Road. 

  • 1907

    The name of the school was changed to Dixie.

  • 1939

    The second school was also destroyed by fire.

    The school established a timber plantation. This provided financial assistance to the school.

  • 1940

    A single-room weatherboard school was built.

  • 1970

    The name of the school changed to Dixie Primary School in 1970.

  • 1992

    The school closed in 1992.

    The school building is now used by the Terang and District Historical Society.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.