150 years: Elphinstone Primary School

Learn about the history of Elphinstone Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

26 Wright Street, Elphinstone, 3448
1 October 1856
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Elphinstone School, Elphinstone Common School, Elphinstone State School

The history of Elphinstone Primary School

  • 1856

    Elphinstone opened in 1856. The first head teacher was George Mouat. There were 23 students enrolled when the school opened (16 boys and 7 girls).

    The average number of students going to the school was 12 (8 boys, 4 girls).

    Classes were held in the Elphinstone Church of England. 

  • 1863

    Elphinstone became a common school in 1863. 

  • 1869

    A new schoolhouse was built on a new site. 

  • 1873

    Elphinstone became a state school in 1873. 

  • 1912

    The schoolhouse was now too small and dangerous. It was renovated and made larger. While the work was done, classes were held in the local Mechanics Institute. 

  • 1914

    A house was built for the head teacher. It had 5 rooms and was located opposite the school. 

  • 1958

    A Mothers' Club was formed. They raised money for the school. 

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Elphinstone Primary School in 1970.

  • 2022

    Elphinstone Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.