JavaScript is required

150 years: Freeburgh State School

Learn about the history of Freeburgh State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Freeburgh, 3741
1 January 1865
27 March 1948
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Freeburgh Common School

The history of Freeburgh State School

  • 1865

    Freeburgh opened as a common school in 1865.

    The first head teacher was Edward Spink.

    The school had a wooden schoolhouse and head teacher's house with 2 rooms

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    Another 2 rooms were added to the head teacher's house in 1877. 

    A larger wooden schoolhouse was built in 1878 and the old school building was moved to become the Freeburgh public library.

  • 1912

    Another 2 rooms were added to the head teacher's house. This was to accommodate the teacher's family of 12 children.

  • 1916

    Another larger wooden schoolhouse was built.

  • 1939

     The Black Friday bushfires of 1939 destroyed most of the fencing around the school.

  • 1948

    The school closed in 1948 because there were only five students left.

    The schoolhouse was moved to Myrtleford and eventually the land and teacher's house were sold.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.