JavaScript is required

150 years: Glendaruel State School

Learn about the history of Glendaruel State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

1337 Coghills Creek Road, Glendaruel, 3363
1 February 1858
31 December 1956
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Glendaruel School, Glendaruel Common School

The history of Glendaruel State School

  • 1858

    Glendaruel School opened as a national school in 1858.

    The first head teacher was Andrew Malcolm.

    Classes were held at the local church.

  • 1862

    This school became a common school in 1862.

  • 1875

    Glendaruel became a state school in 1875.

    The head teacher was Henry Judkins.

    The average number of students going to the school was 44 (24 girls and 20 boys).

  • 1877

    A new block of land was bought to build a new school.

  • 1881

    The new brick school was opened in January 1881.

  • 1884

    The average number of students going to the school had fallen to below 20.

  • 1910

    The schoolhouse was renovated. The old gallery was removed and the schoolroom floor was levelled.

  • 1956

    Glendaruel State School closed in 1956 because there were only seven students enrolled.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.