JavaScript is required

150 years: Glenorchy Primary School

Learn about the history of Glenorchy Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

6-16 Briggs Street, Glenorchy, 3385
1 January 1858
17 December 2010
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Glenorchy School, Glenorchy Common School, Glenorchy State School

The history of Glenorchy Primary School

  • 1858

    Glenorchy opened in 1858 in a private house. The first head teacher was William Calder.

  • 1860

    A schoolhouse was built from slab cut timber. This is also called a slab hut.

  • 1862

    The school became a common school in 1862. 

    A new two-room brick school was built. It had a clay floor and shingle roof.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    By 1875 schoolhouse was too small and a new larger wooden schoolhouse was built.

  • 1900

    The size of the school grounds was increased.

  • 1915

    The schoolhouse was renovated and a large porch was added to one side.

  • 1941

    A 'Back to School' was held at this school in 1941.

  • 1966

    A new shelter shed and new septic toilets were built in 1966.

  • 1967

    The size of the concrete assembly area was increased on the west side of the school.

  • 1970

    The school house had two rooms and an entrance porch in 1970. The name of the school changed to Glenorchy Primary School and there were 45 students enrolled.

  • 2010

    Glenorchy Primary School closed in 2010.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.