JavaScript is required

150 years: Gobur State School

Learn about the history of Gobur State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Gobur, 3719
24 January 1869
17 March 1947
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Godfrey's Creek, Gobur Common School

The history of Gobur State School

  • 1869

    Gobur opened as a common school in 1869 in a large rented bark hut.

    The number of students averaged 30.

    The first head teacher was Phillip Stevens.

    A wooden schoolhouse was built but had to be moved to another block of land. This was because it had been built on land that was part of a mining lease.

  • 1870s

    The number of students enrolled had increased to 60 in 1871. The head teacher's wife, Mrs Stevens, became work mistress and then assistant to her husband.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1881

    A heavy storm badly damaged the school and the schoolhouse had to be replaced.

  • 1884

    The size of the school grounds was increased.

  • 1886

    A new schoolhouse with 4 rooms was built.

    The average number of students at the school was 51.

  • 1919

    Fire destroyed the teacher's house on 2 January 1919 and a new residence was built.

  • 1947

    The number of students enrolled at the school had fallen to 4 and Gobur State School closed in 1947.

    The schoolhouse and residence were moved to Hurstbridge State School (No. 3939).

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.