JavaScript is required

150 years: Haddon Primary School

Learn about the history of Haddon Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

398 Sago Hill Road, Haddon, 3351
8 August 1870
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Haddon Common School, Haddon State School

The history of Haddon Primary School

  • 1870s

    Haddon opened as a common school in 1870. The head teacher was Elijah W. Binder. The average number of students going to the school was 28. The schoolhouse was made of timber. It was big enough for 50 students. 

    A new timber schoolhouse with an iron roof was built on a new site in 1871. The average number of students going to the school in 1871 was between 36 and 49. 

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    The number of students had grown to 140 by 1874. A local church chapel was rented to use as a classroom for the extra students. 

    By December 1876 another room had been added to the school building. 

    In 1877 there were 215 students. By December, there were 320 enrolled students. Another classroom was built.

    The school grounds were fenced and an underground tank installed in 1879. The head teacher built a new timber house on the school grounds. It had 4 rooms and a veranda. 

  • 1906

    The head teacher's house was repaired. 

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Haddon Primary School in 1970.

  • 2022

    Haddon Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.