150 years: Hastings Primary School

Learn about the history of Hastings Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

10-20 Hodgins Road, Hastings, 3915
25 April 1872
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Tyabb School, Hastings Common School, Hastings State School

The history of Hastings Primary School

  • 1870s

    Hastings opened as a common school in 1872. It replaced Tyabb School. The head teacher was John Bettsworth Flemyng. 

    The school became a state school between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1913

    Two brick classrooms were added to the existing schoolhouse. 

  • 1920

    Black and white photograph of the Hastings school building Hastings Primary School ca. 1920 to 1954. Source: Rose Stereograph Co. and the State Library of Victoria
  • 1954

    The number of students was growing. Two classrooms, a staffroom and a storeroom were built. 

  • 1968

    Three more classrooms, a new staffroom and a toilet block were added in October 1968.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Hastings Primary School in 1970.

  • 2022

    Hastings Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.