JavaScript is required

150 years: Healesville Primary School

Learn about the history of Healesville Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

2 View Street, Healesville, 3777
1 October 1866
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Healesville Common School, Healesville State School

The history of Healesville Primary School

  • 1866

    Healesville opened as a common school in 1866. The first head teacher was Frederick Hunt. His wife was work mistress. There were 41 students enrolled at the school when it opened. 

  • 1870

    The school closed for a short time in 1870. This was because students had to help their families with seasonal work such as fruit picking and couldn't go to school. There was also a diphtheria epidemic and many children were sick. 

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

     A new brick schoolhouse was built that was big enough for 40 students in 1877. There was an attached 3-room house for the teacher. 

  • 1962

    More classrooms were built in 1962. 

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Healesville Primary School in 1970. The number of students continued to grow so more classrooms were built.

  • 2022

    Healesville Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.