150 years: Kevington State School

Learn about the history of Kevington State School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Kevington, 3723
1 September 1871
31 December 1941
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Kevington Common School

The history of Kevington State School

  • 1871

    Kevington opened.

    The first head teacher was John Taylor. Local residences built the school.

    The school was only a single room.

    The Board of Education accepted an application for aid and took over ownership of the building.

    The school became a common school. 

  • 1880

    Attendance had increased to 44 and a second room was added to the school.

  • 1887

    A fire almost destroyed the school.

    The school was saved by a teacher who spread wet blankets over the shingle roof. An adjoining hotel was burnt down.

  • 1908

    Former Kevington State School in front of mountain in 1908.
  • 1909

    The fluctuating fortunes of a nearby goldfield affected attendance at the school.

    When the school was no longer fit for use, a new school was built.

  • 1939

    About 1939, the school worked part-time with Ten Mile State School (No. 1429). 

  • 1941

    The school closed.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.