150 years: Korobeit State School

Learn about the history of Korobeit State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Korobeit, 3341
1 January 1864
31 December 1939
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Landsberg Mains School, Korobeit Common School

The history of Korobeit State School

  • 1864

    The school opened as a common school in 1864. The school was called Landsberg Mains School before it was known as Korobeit.

    The first head teacher was John Heap.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    Charles Tanner was the head teacher during this time.

  • 1886

    Korobeit had low student numbers so it became a part-time school. It shared its only teacher with Pentland Hills State School (No. 701), and the teacher split their time between both schools.

  • 1889

    The school became full time again.

  • 1910

    The school became part-time again for a year.

  • 1918

    The old schoolhouse was sold and moved elsewhere. It was replaced by a newer building brought in from Ingliston State School (No. 1690).

  • 1939

    Korobeit State School closed in 1939.

    The schoolhouse was moved to Kangaroo Hills State School (No. 881) and the shelter shed moved to Myrniong State School (No.487).

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.