150 years: Laanecoorie Primary School

Learn about the history of Laanecoorie Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Gray Street, Laanecoorie, 3463
15 February 1864
31 December 1993
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Laanecoorie Common School, Laanecoorie State School

The history of Laanecoorie Primary School

  • 1863

    The Board of Education agreed to build the school following a petition from local residents. 

    They promised to pay some of the building costs and guaranteed at least 50 students would attend.

    The brick school building was built by Thomas Cridley.

  • 1864

    Laanecoorie opened as a common school in 1864.

    One of the first teachers at the school was D Ryland.

  • 1871

    G Gardener took over as teacher, following the death of Mr Ryland. He stayed until 1889.


  • 1890

    Miss L Sanders started teaching there in 1890 and stayed until 1908.

  • 1908

    In 1908 carpenters from Maldon built a new wooden school building. It was a prefabrication brought from Melbourne by train.

    The head teacher at the time was Calder.

    Other teachers included Robinson, A Webster, B Lettuce, F Millascott, F West and B Knight.

  • 1970

    The name of the school changed to Laanecoorie Primary School in 1970. 

  • 1993

    The school closed in 1993 due to low student enrolments.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's state and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info the PROV have on this school.