- 89 Forest Road South, Lara Lake, 3212
- 3 January 1865
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Lara Lake Common School, Lara Lake State School
The history of Lara Lake Primary School
The school opened as a common school in 1865. The first head teacher was Watson. The Lara area was known as Duck Ponds at the time.
A teacher's residence was added in 1870.
The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.
Another room was added in 1874.
The school raised money for the school of Aberfan Wales after the mining disaster. The Aberan school wrote a letter of thanks to the school.
The school was completely destroyed in a grassfire in 1969. Aberfan school in Wales raised money for Lara Lake to assist in the rebuild. To mark this bond, the school's mascot is the Welsh dragon.
The school was rebuilt and opened in 1970, it was renamed Lara Lake Primary School. The opening ceremony was ‘marked by an exchange of the Victorian State flag with the national flag of Wales ‘.
Lara Lake Primary School is still in operation.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.