JavaScript is required

150 years: Lauriston State School

Learn about the history of Lauriston State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Lauriston, 3444
1 July 1865
31 December 1944
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Lauriston Common School

The history Lauriston State School

  • 1865

    Lauriston opened as a common school in 1865. There were 46 students enrolled and the average number of students attending was 33.

    The first head teacher was Alex W. Hart. The weatherboard schoolhouse had a single room and a porch.

  • 1871

    A house for the head teacher was built. It had 4 rooms.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    The average number of students attending school was at least 100 in 1873.

    Another timber classroom was built in 1874. 

  • 1887

    The size of the school grounds was increased. 

  • 1907

    The head teachers house was sold and moved elsewhere.

  • 1909

    The school was awarded a 1st Class Certificate for the school garden.

  • 1910

    The school was renovated and there was a ‘Visitors Day' in June where the local community could come and see the new renovations.

    Lauriston was again awarded a 1st Class Certificate for the school garden.

  • 1944

    Lauriston State School closed in 1944.


Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.