JavaScript is required

150 years: Leigh Creek State School

Learn about the history of Leigh Creek State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Warrenheip, 3352
8 February 1864
20 February 1894
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Leigh Creek Common School

The history of Leigh Creek State School

  • 1864

    Leigh Creek opened as a common school in 1864.

    The first head teacher was Michael Cody.

    Classes were held in a timber schoolhouse with a shingle roof.

    The average number of students that went to the school in the first month was 44. In just 5 months, the number of students enrolled at the school had increased to 71.

  • 1870s

     The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878. 

  • 1882

     The average number of students going to school was between 25 and 39 in 1882.

  • 1884

    A new and slightly smaller wooden schoolhouse was built. The old schoolhouse was sold and moved elsewhere.

    The head teachers house at Navigators State School (No. 1971) was moved to Leigh Creek for the head teacher to live in.

  • 1894

    Leigh Creek closed in 1894 because the average number of students going to school had fallen below 20.

    The school buildings were sold and moved elsewhere.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.