150 years: Linton Primary School

Learn about the history of Linton Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

28 Adair Street, Linton, 3360
1 August 1867
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Linton Common School, Linton State School

The history of Linton Primary School

  • 1867

    Linton opened as a common school in 1867. The first head teacher was George MacKay and this assistant was Harriet Wilson. Classes were held in a red brick school building. 

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    The number of students increased to 242 in 1875. The court house was used as a classroom at the time. Two rooms were added to the building. 

  • 1887

    A new school building opened in 1887. The teacher's residence was used for offices and a new residence was built on Sussex Street. 

  • 1925

    A pine tree plantation was planted in 1925. The trees would be sold when fully grown to raise money for the school. 

  • 1969

    A new school building opened in 1969 when V.H. Reynolds was head teacher. 

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Linton Primary School in 1970.

  • 2022

    Linton Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.