150 years: Longwood East State School

Learn about the history of Longwood East State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Address:
Longwood East, 3665
Opened:
1 October 1861
Closed:
30 September 1888
School type:
Primary
School number:
367
Other names:
Longwood East School, Longwood East Common School

The history of Longwood East State School

  • 1861

    Longwood East opened in 1861.

    The first head teacher was William Fisher.

    When the school opened, the average number of students going to school was 22 (12 girls and 10 boys).

  • 1862

    Longwood East School became a common school in 1862.

  • 1870s

    The head teacher in 1872 was Edward Audsley.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878. 

  • 1888

    Longwood East State School closed in 1888.

    The last head teacher was Anna Martin.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.

Updated