JavaScript is required

150 years: Marong Primary School

Learn about the history of Marong Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

2 Leslie Street, Marong , 3515
1 August 1859
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Marong School, Marong Common School, Marong State School

The history of Marong Primary School

  • 1859

    Marong opened as a national school in 1859. A brick building with a shingle roof was finished mid-year. 

  • 1862

    The school became a common school in 1862.

  • 1863

    The average attendance in 1863 was 46. 

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    It was extended in 1873 and a teacher's residence was added.

    The school grounds were extended to 21 acres in 1876. 

  • 1887

    A new residence was built in 1887 as the old residence was in a state of disrepair. 

  • 1889

     Town water supply was connected in 1889. 

  • 1909

    Sanitary arrangements at the school were condemned in 1909 as an outbreak of typhoid fever was attributed to their poor condition. 

  • 1912

    Extensive repairs were completed in 1912. 

  • 1938

    A new weatherboard school building opened in 1938. 

  • 1959

    The school commemorated its 100th anniversary in 1959. 

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Marong Primary School in 1970.

  • 2022

    Marong Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.