JavaScript is required

150 years: Miner's Rest Common School

Learn about the history of Miner's Rest Common School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Dundas Street, Miners Rest, 3352
1 January 1858
1 June 1876
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Miners' Rest School

The history of Miner's Rest Common School

  • 1858

    The school operated under head teacher, William Clarke.

    The exact opening date is unknown.

    The school was on the west side of Clunes Road in Miners' Rest.

  • 1876

    The single room wooden building was too small to house the 90 students and the school subsequently closed on 1 June 1876.

    Miners Rest State School (No. 1739) opened on this same site in June 1876.

    Front view of Miners Rest Primary School in 1983.
    Miners Rest Primary School. (Source: J.T. Collins Collection, La Trobe Picture Collection, State Library of Victoria. Photo taken in 1983)