- 641 Mount Macedon Road, Mount Macedon, 3441
- 1 February 1858
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Mount Macedon School, Mount Macedon Common School, Mount Macedon State School, Mount Macedon Primary School
The history of Mount Macedon Primary School
Mount Macedon was opened in 1858 by the Reverend R.T. Cummins.
The Reverend opened the school without funding. The Denominational Schools Board had rejected a request for aid in 1857.
The original school building was a single room built with timber.
The school became a common school in the 1860s. The head teacher at the time was James Day.
A brick building was built. There were about 100 students enrolled at the time.
The head teacher at the time was Albert de Forest.
A memorial drinking fountain was added in 1919.
This was to celebrate peace following the First World War.
The head teacher at the time was George H. Clarke.
The school centenary was observed in 1958.
Ornamental entrance gates were opened by Sir Douglas Copeland, KBE, CMG.
The gates were inscribed for the centenary.
A time capsule was sealed into the post on the righthand side of the gates. It contained several documents and letters.
The name of the school changed to Mount Macedon Primary School in 1970.
The Ash Wednesday bushfires went through Macedon and Mount Macedon.
The school building was not destroyed but a lot of houses and eight lives were lost.
Mount Macedon Primary School in still in operation.
The original brick school building is still in use.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.