JavaScript is required

150 years: Murroon State School

Learn about the history of Murroon State School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Murroon, 3243
1 January 1868
16 December 1969
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Murroon Common School

The history of Murroon State School

  • 1868

    Murroon opened as a common school in 1868 under Henry O'Neill.

    The school didn't receive State funding to pay O'Neill's salary as he wasn't a qualified teacher.

  • 1934

    Murroon School continued to function until 1934 when it closed.

  • 1946

     The school opened again in 1946 under head teacher NE Maxwell.

  • 1960s

    The Department of Education built a new school in 1964 but it closed in 1966.

    The building moved to Elliminyt State School (No. 2028) in 1969.

    Head teachers at the school included:

    • Jean Nicholson
    • Arthur M Wallace (1948 to 1951)
    • Colin R Moyle (1952 to 1957)
    • CJ Adamson (1958 to 1960)
    • Ron Attrill (1960 to 1962)
    • Hugh Morriss (1966)


    Notable pupils:

    • T Darcy, a former student, became Minister of Water Supply and Mines in 1964.
    • Former student Kevin Wickham was cox of the Australian Rowing Eight. He went to the Olympic Games in Tokyo in 1964 and in Mexico in 1968.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.