150 years: Musk Primary School

Learn about the history of Musk Primary School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

School Road, Musk, 3461
1 October 1872
31 December 1993
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Musk Creek Common School, Musk Creek State School, Musk State School

The history of Musk Primary School

  • 1872

    The school, originally named after nearby Musk Creek, opened in 1872.

    It was located on Government Road near the Musk Post Office on the Daylesford to Melbourne railway line.

    The original school building was a single room with a gallery. It was partitioned into two rooms at some stage.

  • 1930s

    The school operated part-time with Gromoora from 1935 to 1938.

  • 1949

    The school building was replaced.

    The new building was moved to this school from Shepherd's Flat State School (No. 1212).

    A new teacher's house was also supplied.

  • 1950

    The school building from Shepard's Flat State School (No. 1212) was moved to the site. A teacher's house was also added.

  • 1968

    The school's name changed from Musk Creek to Musk.

    This was to avoid confusion with another school, Musk Creek State School (No. 1454), near the town of Dean on the other side of Daylesford.

  • 1970

    The name of the school changed to Musk Primary School in 1970. 

  • 1993

    The school was closed in 1993 due to falling student enrolments.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.